Saturday, August 30, 2008

Merdeka!


I cannot help but notice that this year's Merdeka celebration is a thoroughly subdued affair.

The number of cars flying the mini-Jalur Gemilang is noticeably much, much less than in previous years. Even government office buildings in Putrajaya - the Federal Government Administrative Centre - only put up a few token flags up.

The same goes for residential premises.

In my neighbourhood, flags only started to be noticeable immediately the day after the by-election in Permatang Pauh. It was as if, somehow, people had decided that suddenly now there is reason enough to be joyous and celebrate Merdeka.

The reason? Well, I leave it to you to interpret.

Malaysia is 51. So, Happy Merdeka Day.


No comments:

AZMAN AHMAD TERMIZI: 12 Januari 1964 - 30 Julai 2022

  AZMAN AHMAD TERMIZI 12 Januari 1964 - 30 Julai 2022 Dearest Man.You were not only my beloved brother, but you were also my good friend. Th...