Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hypoglycemia


I was in Ipoh to visit my parents over the weekend. But on Tuesday night, just before maghrib, I dashed back to Ipoh again.

Emak was admitted to hospital due to a serious condition of hypoglycemia.

Hypoglycemia, or commonly called low blood sugar, happens when blood sugar level drops too low to provide enough energy for one’s body's activities. This happens when the level of glucose drops to about 3.0mmol/l and below. When Emak was admitted, her reading was already around 2.0mmol/l and she was almost unconscious.

Hypoglycemia can occur in people with diabetes who take certain medications to keep their blood glucose levels in control, which is the case with Emak. She was on an overdose of her medication and, to compound matters further, she had not felt like eating since the day before.

As someone with a sweet tooth myself (yes, I am fond of sweet foods) I have to be careful too. Diabetes lurks.

And, unfortunately, it runs in the family.

Exercising regularly, reducing fat and calorie intake, and losing weight are the three main steps for preventing the onslaught of diabetes. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking. Easier said than done. But still.

Alhamdulillah my beloved Emak is now recovering. She is still weak. But otherwise she is alert and her appetite is back.

2 comments:

NGINAP SRENGENGE @ SRENGENGE said...

sdr.aziz,

saya doakan semoga kedua2 mereka sihat walafiat.

Azizi Ahmad Termizi: said...

Pak Cha

Terima kasih untuk ingatan & do'a tuan.

AZMAN AHMAD TERMIZI: 12 Januari 1964 - 30 Julai 2022

  AZMAN AHMAD TERMIZI 12 Januari 1964 - 30 Julai 2022 Dearest Man.You were not only my beloved brother, but you were also my good friend. Th...