Saturday, July 28, 2007

A slap on the wrist for bloggers


I started blogging in February of this year in order to record my thoughts, express my views and feelings, and – maybe, share my thoughts with anyone who would care to read the blog. Pretty innocent stuff, blogging, I thought to myself.

But a few months ago we saw two bloggers being slapped with law suits. Last week another one was summoned to have his statements recorded after a police report was made against him.

Whoa...what’s happening here?

The worldwide trend is plain and crystal clear for all to see. The number of blogs as of May this year was 60 million – and growing at a quickening pace. According to the blog tracker, Technorati, some 75,000 blogs are created daily. That means on average one new blog is created every second of every day!

Individuals, business people, politicians are blogging, the world over. It’s an excellent medium for expressing views, and an equally good source of information.

Despite of this, Malaysian bloggers are really getting a slap on the wrist, and that's putting it mildly. It’s like we are going backwards in the IT age (the Multimedia Super Corridor notwithstanding). The urge by certain quarters for us to move on and drop our so called “third world mentality” therefore rings hollow. Shame on you.

After 50 years of Merdeka, is this all we've got to show?

As a society, maturity, sadly, eludes us. Sloganeering and hypocrisy rules, OK!

Selamat Menyambut 50 Tahun Kemerdekaan, Malaysia (read: how I feel pity for you).


No comments:

AZMAN AHMAD TERMIZI: 12 Januari 1964 - 30 Julai 2022

  AZMAN AHMAD TERMIZI 12 Januari 1964 - 30 Julai 2022 Dearest Man.You were not only my beloved brother, but you were also my good friend. Th...