Wednesday, January 10, 2018

A-Level Exam Fever and Applying for University Admission

I was offered the Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) scholarship to UK based on my fairly okay results in the Malaysia Certificate of Education examination, or the MCE. But the MCE was only equivalent to the GCE Ordinary Level in the UK, a qualification awarded to secondary school-leavers. To get into a British university and pursue a degree course, I needed to have the A-Level.


The GCE- A Level, or General Certificate of Education-Advanced Level, was a secondary school leaving qualification recognised by UK universities as the standard for assessing the suitability of students who apply for admission. 


Students generally work towards their A-Level over a two-year period during which time they would take three to five subjects of study. Since university offers were normally based on 3 A-Levels, I only had to take three subjects. The subjects were chosen carefully in consideration of the type of degree that one intended pursue at university. In my case, the JPA had agreed on Town Planning as my course. So, upon consultation with the college students’ advisor, I was recommended to do Statistics, Physics and Economics.


Hence, for two whole years I had to endure the twists and turns of being a student of Statistics, having to grapple with things like the Poisson Distribution, Probability, Linear Regression and Binomial Distribution. I toughed it out on Physics taught by the laser-tongued Mr. Speight and wrestled with topics like the Law of thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory, Gravitational Potential Energy and other outlandish stuffs. And for Economics I would have had lengthy discussions on mouthful topics such microeconomics and macroeconomics, monetary policy, demand and supply, balance of payments and what have you with Ghani and Shaari, and with occasional help from Nina Zahari, the smart and stylish girl from KL, who always seemed to be on top of things as far as Economics was concerned.


A-level examinations were administered through awarding bodies the JMB or Joint Matriculation Board, and the AEB or Associated Examining Board. My Statistics and Physics were to be AEB papers, while my Economics was set by the JMB. But it didn’t really matter who set the papers, they were tough all the same.


Our A-Level exams were in July of 1981. I tried to slowly start preparing for it and get into the frame of mind a good six months prior to that – albeit on very low-key mode. I forced myself to start reading text books, writing some short notes. It was laborious and boring to say the least. But looking at how my flat mates Ghani, Azhar and especially Shaari seemed to be so into it made me nervous and felt compelled into doing something. Just anything.


Came spring time, it was just another three months away to D-Day. But spring being spring, there was no way I was going to miss the nice weather outside being stuck in my room mugging away. Besides, friends from outstation were bound to come over to have their usual jolly time in Blackpool for the Easter break – exam or no exam.


So, in the end, I really started preparing for the exam in earnest after the Easter break. I started looking at the past years questions and searched back for my notes which I had stashed away. But with the weather outside getting warmer and warmer by the day, it was a tough test of my resoluteness to concentrate on work. And I am not one known for being steadfast and focused. So, instead of working you’d find me playing tennis in Bispham with Ghani and Hasni. We’d have a few rounds of crazy golf at the Gynn Square just for the fun of it. Why, I even had time to go to Stanley Park to enjoy the gardens full of flower blooms and to ride in the rowing boats.


As we were preparing for the exams, we also had to turn our attention to university admissions matters. University entrance application was made through the UCCA or the Universities Central Council on Admissions and the deadline for applications was by mid-January.


Most universities based their admissions offers on a student's predicted A-level grades. The offers could either be unconditional, or conditional meaning that students would be offered admission subject to them achieving a minimum set of grades in the coming A-Level examinations. We could hold a maximum of two of these offers, a first choice, plus a reserve choice held just in case we fail to achieve the grades asked by the first-choice university.


In all, I made applications to five universities which was the University of Manchester, Dundee and Herriot Watt Glasgow  in Scotland, Newcastle, and Cardiff UWIST. I managed to receive offers from all five and therefore had to make the tough decision on which ones to hold on. In the end, I decided to go with Manchester as my first choice which required the highest grades amongst the five institutions with CCD. And my reserve or insurance choice was Cardiff UWIST whose requirements were the least stringent. Offers from Dundee, Newcastle and Herriot Watt all had to be declined.


For a minority of courses universities may require interviews with prospective applicants before making their offers. Somehow, town planning fell into that category. That was how I found myself making the long trips to all the five cities scattered all over UK in the depth of winter of 1980-81. It took a toll on my measly monthly budget. Plus, it took away chunks of my time which was supposed to be dedicated to exams preparation.


But I wasn’t complaining. It took me off my studies and allowed me to visit far-flung places such as Dundee in cold north Scotland where I met up with my seniors Raja Mudzaffar or Ramush as we used to call him. In Glasgow, I put up at another senior’s place who was studying at the University of Glasgow. And for the trip to Cardiff I stayed at Nayan’s house, a friend from my secondary school. If I was honest, I rather enjoyed the forced excursions to think that my other college mates were stuck in their rooms poring over their books and notes. And I also felt that, somehow, the arduous journeys would eventually bear fruit in the form of a university place. Talk about misplaced optimism.


As exams drew closer and closer, I noticed that my housemates suddenly became very serious. No more sitting in front of the telly, no mucking about chatting or having lengthy breaks listening to music. Less time were spent in the kitchen. And certainly, no time for the Blackpool Pleasure Beach! Except for a few discussions on past year exam questions, everyone was locked in their room. Even the cheeky Ghani who used to roam the house for his free biscuits, music listening and little chit chats stopped doing his rounds.


In the weeks running up to the exam, Apak’s letters would noticeably contain paragraphs of advises and prayers form Emak and Apak himself. Worked hard we did, but we also asked for divine guidance and intervention and lots of tawakkal alallah. Yes, after so much efforts put in, all we could do from then on was to trust Allah Azzawajal and leave matters in His hands.


When the day finally arrived, we did our exam in the college main hall where I sat at a desk posted with my examination serial number: 396364. My three subjects were spread over two and a half weeks from 1 to 18 June 1981. Once done and over with, everyone was euphoric.


But A-level results were published in August. So, it really was a short-lived joy. No matter how good you were it’s still a nightmare waiting for exam results. So, we’d be gripped partly with hope, and with some fear and uncertainty in case we don't make the grades. But being young and restless, nothing was going to stop us from enjoying the much deserved summer break. For, we knew very well that once at university, we’d be bogged down again with more studies and work. Now was the time to savour a break after all the hard work over the past two years.


My one month and a bit summer break was filled with trips down south to London and the Lake District up north in Cumbria to mention a few. Visits to the Blackpool Pleasure Beach came back with a vengeance. And there were many, many long strolls along the beach and promenade.


When the exam results finally came out in August I was glad to be able to finally breathe a sigh of relief. Despite lots of mucking around, I managed to meet the University of Manchester’s entrance requirement grades with a BCD. And I think you could already guess that the D was for my most dreaded subject - Mr. Speight's Physics. In one of his letters Apak stated that he was just happy that I manage to pass it.


Many universities started making their official offers in early autumn. And I duly received my confirmation of offer from Manchester via a letter dated 17 August 1981. Another college mate, Hussain, also got an offer from Manchester. Hasni had an offer from Sunderland, Shaari from Reading, Jenggo Leeds, and Ghani Aston University. For students who didn’t get a confirmed place the UCCA would automatically try to match them with courses that still had vacancies. But all my mates made the grade and were duly accepted for admission into their universities of choice.


Now we were in business.


A new chapter was about to begin. Life as a full-fledged university student, and onwards to being professionals.

No comments:

AZMAN AHMAD TERMIZI: 12 Januari 1964 - 30 Julai 2022

  AZMAN AHMAD TERMIZI 12 Januari 1964 - 30 Julai 2022 Dearest Man.You were not only my beloved brother, but you were also my good friend. Th...